Sunday, January 26, 2020

Peek at the grocery budget; meal rundown

Dinner at our house last week:

Sunday - Two orders of fajitas from a restaurant and two free kids meals.
Monday - Chicken and vegetable soup. I've gotten into the habit of boiling a chicken on Saturday which makes a lot of broth and enough meat for a few meals (mostly lunches). Soup was from Saturday chicken.
Tuesday - Beef stew, including sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, sage, and thyme. I took my lunch break early in the day to get the stew started so that it had five hours to stew on the stove before I got home from work.
Wednesday - Bunless hamburgers and roasted broccoli and onion
Thursday - Turkey tacos with corn tortillas, fajita peppers, and guacamole  (I had a taco salad)
Friday - Steak and asparagus. The kids always eat the same meals as the parents in this house but I did make them hot dogs instead of the crazy expensive steak my husband brought home from the meat market. The stingy adults should have shared the steak though because we both ate way too much.
Saturday - Chili.
My chili is about two pounds of ground beef. One onion. Three peppers: yellow, red, and orange. A can of no salt added tomato sauce. A little water. Tons of spice: chili pwd. garlic pwd. salt, cumin, oregano. Simmered for about an hour. We seriously love it!


Breakfast is usually a granola bar or fruit and nut bar or scrambled eggs.
Lunches are often leftovers or very kid-ish, like dino nuggets or mac n cheese.
I feel like there's a lot of snacking in our house, dried fruits, nuts, cheese, granola bars or fruit and nut bars, crackers. Lots of snacking!

As far as beverages go I drink a lot of coffee and tea.
My husband drinks a lot of soda water.
The little lady drinks a lot of milk and Abe just drinks a lot of water.
We really don't buy pop or juice unless we're eating out somewhere.

That's pretty much the rundown 😋

1 comment:

  1. Learning to drink water as opposed to sugary drinks is the best thing for them.

    ReplyDelete