Monday, September 12, 2016

Guess What Happened This Week

One melon.
One perfectly ripe, fully developed, Bidwell Casaba melon.


We're so proud of our one lonely fruit.

And for a completely honest review (after all the many posts I put into this one melon) it does not taste like heavenly orange sherbet as it was reviewed in a melon publication. It does in fact, as I'd slightly suspected taste just like what I remember cantaloupe tasting like as a child. The reason I say, "as a child" is because I don't like cantaloupe. I may have distorted memories of the situation but I feel as though my mom tried to get me to like it all throughout childhood. It seems like it always showed up in fruit salad or as the fruit side at dinner and for some reason I always gave it a taste with unchanging results. Yuck!

Well to my long gone cousin, John Bidwell leader of the first wagon train to California, founder of Chico California, Senator, General, Mr. Bidwell you have accomplished a task that my very own mother was continually unable. I really, really enjoyed this cantaloupe type melon, this Bidwell Casaba, truly and completely enjoyed it. Not only did I enjoy the story, not only did I enjoy the family connection, the history growing in my very own backyard, and sharing my adventures with the bloggosphere, but I enjoyed a melon that I've never once liked. Thank-you.


I of course scooped out all the seeds and am saving them for future gardening endevours. Maybe one day I'll find a better spot in my yard or figure out how to clean up the soil that I suspect is awful in the bed behind the garage where I grew this lonely fruit (and it's neighboring lonely pie pumpkin). Whatever the case, I now have a plethora of seeds (still many of the ones I purchases this year and now all of the (viable) seeds from this guy) so I shouldn't ever have to purchase more.

8 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed following your melon tale and now am glad you enjoyed eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate cantaloupe! My mother served it in a bowl, slices, never chunks. She put nothing with it because, she just did not. Probably Daddy wanted it alone. She tried when I was over thirty to convince me to taste a bite, "just a bite." Nope.

    I suspect I am allergic to all melons except watermelon. I may know tomorrow. So far, everything I have hated forever is something to which I am allergic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting connection! That'd you be allergic to all the foods you hated. The only food I actually know I'm allergic to is almonds. Weird, right? If I eat too many almonds or drink almond milk I get a coarse rash on my skin. Come to think of it, I really did not like almonds when I was a kid. They're fine now, not my favorite nut but fine.

      I hated raisins (like they would make me gag when I was a kid). But I really like them now. I also hated rice. Anytime I ate it I could not keep myself from thinking about maggots. BUT I can eat it now. Now I think I've turned a corner on cantaloupe. I think the only thing I really hated as a child that I still despise is olives.

      Delete
  3. Did Abner enjoy it too? Something to look forward to next year as well - seeing if the seeds are true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abner did not like it. He tried it but he said it was not good. I was hopeful that he'd enjoy it more since he helped grow it. He was the one that planted the seeds indoors and of course he watched it grow all summer. But, nope.

      Delete
  4. It's a gorgeous melon! Have you ever tried a sprinkle of salt on a cantaloupe? It's the only way I will eat it, and brings out the flavor in a slightly different way. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you mention that. I thought about it for a minute. I've heard of people putting salt on melon and grapefruit. I LOVE grapefruit and would never EVER salt it. For that reason I couldn't bring myself to put salt on the melon either even though I thought about it briefly. I did pair it with strawberries though and the combination was really very delicious.

      Delete