Sunday, September 13, 2020

Because you asked about the carrots

I did plant carrots this year!




I used up all the remaining seeds I had from years prior, a good sprinkling of purple carrot seeds and not quite as many traditional orange. They weren't planted in the purple bin from years ago, nor in the bin that followed. If you have old plastic storage totes, or happen upon free ones they work  REALLY well as garden planters BUT I can only say as much for one, two, maybe three years max if you treat them really well. Between the frigged cold winters here (making the bins brittle) and my exuberant son dueling with them, sticks as swords, those prior two bins are long gone.

This year I used the planter I had my first strawberry plants in. 

So, I used up old seeds, utilized an empty planter, filled it with remaining dirt I had from filling in puppy dog holes in the back yard and then... well, puppy dog jumped my garden fence and had a good dig in a bin full of tiny carrot sprouts.


I love this photo because one can really tell how playful he is in it. The fuzzy black dog will be ten months old in four days (the yellow lab belongs to my in laws). Our pup has been A HANDFUL!!! But he's overflowing with love, affection, and puppy-ness. He is a sweetie. None the less, long legs Party jumped my garden fence and demolished the carrot bin. I was really upset but I salvaged it and we just went on with the summer. I think we've picked a total of three orange carrots from the bin this year but there have been many more purple ones. Considering the catastrophe it's been a really nice year for carrots in our garden. It was also a decent year for zucchini and tomatoes. Now beans, that's another story. I have green beans taking over the world here!!! Beans! Beans! Beans! 

Our tiny garden: a really bright spot during 2020.

2 comments:

  1. Oh but it must be bliss to share those precious carrots with two lovely young children! I've got a lot of carrot tops and not much else. I've had an OK crop of beans this year rather than a wonderful-flowing-out-my-ears crop. And I have no puppy to blame for my failure. My tomatoes have been great and I just scrounge courgettes (zucchini).

    It's lovely to see your family on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the carrots and the new dog!
    Our zucchini took over the world the first part of the summer, followed by our green beans. Just when I think they are about gone, a new set of blooms happens, then beans galore.

    ReplyDelete