Saturday, August 20, 2016

Tomato Soup Day


We picked well over 30 pounds of tomatoes this week. They're not all pictured as I've been using them and giving them away but I couldn't resist the photo op even so. The tomatoes we picked on Tuesday alone weighed in at 22 pounds and we've picked considerably more since then.

I planned for most of the week to make a big batch of tomato soup to freeze but I had to make chicken broth for it first because my husband won't eat store bought. That was my sticking point. I finally made the broth on Wednesday. That allowed me to make a very big batch of tomato soup as well as chicken and dumplings yesterday. My kitchen is officially trashed but I'm thrilled to have accomplished my mission.


I LOVE these tomatoes. They are so juicy, so sweet, and so ugly. The tomato soup recipe I use is HERE. I really really like it. Although I don't add heavy whipping cream when ready to eat but instead use whole milk. And it says to go ahead and leave the skins on. It doesn't bother me in the least to do it this way but unless you have some sort of turbo blender the soup does end up with tiny flecks throughout it. Not as many as you might imagine but enough to notice.


Yes, we ate dino nuggets with our soup. It was a fabulous lunch!

6 comments:

  1. So jealous of all of your tomatoes. Last year we had a bumper crop. This year, they stopped producing at the end of July. I'm hoping for another spurt, but it doesn't look good. PS - I also love dino nuggets. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had a TON of tomatoes last year but I think this year has topped last. We've had the absolute best weather though.

      Dino nuggets are a huge family favorite around here :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow what a fabulous harvest. The tomato soup recipe sounds wonderful.
    I have no luck growing tomatoes, so my total harvest has been a few pounds of cherry tomatoes. But I am cutting okra daily, which is good, but you sure would not want to eat okra soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a really good recipe. I've made several batches with it and my husband and I both really enjoy it.

      In the north okra is not a very... hmm... yeah, we hardly ever eat it. I know it can get real slimy so I'm guessing that okra soup would be slime soup? :) Sounds yummy, haha!

      Delete
  3. If i get a good tomato source, i will look up this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, if you were closer I'd send as many tomatoes your way as you'd like.

      Delete