Saturday, March 12, 2016

Let the Gardening Begin!

This may be the point in time when I should change my blog title to: The Chronicles of my Yard (I'm not going to though).

It seems, being the incredibly novice gardener that I am, I underestimated those sunflower sprouts that I spotted through the snow in January. I'm 98% sure that they are sunflower sprouts coming up from seeds that fell from the giant sunflower I had growing last summer. And I hadn't realized they could winter over and withstand such cold.



I'm going to be watching these little buggers really closely, thinning them out, and hopefully they will result in one (or two or three) fabulous, wintered over, self planted giant red sunflower(s). If these are just a strange weed that completely mocks a sunflower sprout I am going to be rather crushed. Only time will tell.

: )

Average daily spending for 2016: $18.71

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see if they are sunflowers :) They sure look like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really completely sure they are, however it seems pretty rare for sunflower seeds to winter over so this is kind of crazy. If they aren't sunflowers I'm going to be shocked. I mean these sprouts are IDENTICAL to the ones I planted last year. Maybe they're just grow really small flowers instead of the giant one I grew last year. Ahhh, again, only time will tell :)

      What a fun mystery though.

      Delete
  2. Are we going to have carrots again, PLEASE? Sunflowers are fun but carrots are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YES! I'm planning two bins this year. I'm going to grow the ones I did last year and I bought some heirloom purple carrot seeds. They have purple skin but orange insides. They look really neat! I'm really excited to see how they turn out.

      Delete