Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Lesson Learned

I've learned something new this week. I've learned that I mustn't buy clothing for myself on line. Like, never, for any reason. I just should not do it.

With all these life changes, schedule changes, routine changes, ect; I felt the need to really tackle clutter and closets and at least as much of my house as I have steam to tackle this month. It may seem like I'm piling extra onto an already big heap but I think it's the perfect time. Right now while everything is turned upside down I can see no better time in which to turn my house upside down too.

I went through my closet at the end of May. My closet isn't very large and my wardrobe isn't very extensive but I have a lot of clothes that I never wear. It's funny, at least in my situation that when you stop wearing something, either because it no longer fits, has gotten too crumby, or you just really don't like it, that article of clothing just sort of disappears. It's like it turns invisible. It just becomes a sort of wallpaper for your closet or your drawer.

Until I went through my wardrobe last month and my dresser this month I felt that I had such a small amount of clothing. It's true I have a small wardrobe but since going through all of it I have gotten rid of 55 things that either needed to be tossed or donated. I could have never dreamed before hand that I had 55 completely unwearable things in my room. I had so many clothes that I just couldn't or won't wear anymore. The sad trend that I found is that aside from two pair of lounge/ workout pants every single item I've ever purchased online I got rid of this week. It was a sad realization to come to because several of the items I loved so much while they were on the computer. I wanted to love them so much once they arrived. But without fail none of them fit right, or I felt uncomfortable each time I wore them. They all had to go. They were all just constantly hanging out in my closet or dresser acting as taunting wallpaper.

Marie Kondo, the wildly famous organizer has said that each time we get rid of something we should thank it for the purpose it served in our lives. I got rid of several practically new items of clothing this week that I ordered online and that I will never wear. One in particular, a shirt that I loved (online), that I wanted to so badly because it was so "me," I made my husband get it for me as a birthday gift last year even though he said it was ugly. I wore it once. ONE time. I had to get rid of it because it fits horribly and (little did I know from the picture online) it has a completely functional zipper running down the back of it. Like someone could literally zip my shirt right off of me from behind if they wished to be cruel. Plus who wants their hair constantly getting caught in the zipper running down their back?

I did not thank each article of clothing for the purpose it served as I put them in the donate pile or the trash but I did thank that shirt. I said as I placed it in the donate pile, "thank-you for teaching me once and for all that I cannot order clothing online." And I meant it. As much as I hate to shop, online shopping is not the easy way out for me. Lesson learned.

9 comments:

  1. I can't order clothes online. But I do order my Victoria Secret bras. They don't carry my size in stores so I have to take a chance. So far I have been lucky.
    You make me want to go through my closets. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good exception and one I should make since I struggle in that area but I have not ever ordered a bra online.

      As dreadful as the task sounds you want to go through your closets now to find the clothing that's turned into wallpaper don't you :)

      Delete
  2. You must now be feeling incredibly well organised - yet another thing for which I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly won't claim well organized but a lot closer to where I'd like to be, that's for sure! I went through the kitchen cupboards yesterday. I'm not very good at this because as I was pulling things I know I'll never use again I was thinking, "I'm really only getting rid of half of what I should be." Ah, you have to start somewhere right?

      Delete
  3. I do order online, but I have a couple of tried and true styles and brands that I am faithful to. Anytime I go out of the box ordering I wind up donating a one time or never worn item to Goodwill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found tried and true that's for sure! It's nice to hear I'm not alone though in the "out of the box" equals "one time or never worn" online issue I definitely have.

      Delete
  4. I never get sizes right-too big or small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just fits super weird. That's usually my issue. I hate buying clothes.

      Delete
  5. I cannot pick anything off the rack and be sure it fits. I refuse to try anything on in the store because I can only know it fits or looks right in my own home. I did order one thing online because I had the same item, loved it and wanted a different color. However, everything I have ever bought at a yard sale fit perfectly.

    The other thing about buying online is that the feel of the fabric or quality of the fabric rules whether I even take the hanger off the rack to look at the garment.

    Sometimes, I buy the same item in two sizes, try them on, and return the other garment immediately.

    I would never buy from QVC or HSN because they never reveal the fiber content.

    ReplyDelete