Saturday, November 19, 2016

I am Organized!!!

The first snowflakes of this winter have just, moments ago begun to fall. We're less than a week out from Thanksgiving now and Christmas is rapidly approaching. The Christmas sections started to go up in the stores shortly BEFORE Halloween but the Christmas music just started playing in the store where I work this week. I love Christmas but merchandise before Halloween is a bit absurd. Christmas music the week before Thanksgiving however seems like great timing to me.

The first day I heard Christmas tunes playing in the store was this past Thursday. That evening after signing out of my e-mail I saw a Reader's Digest article titled:

7 Things organized people do every holiday season that you don't

I was cheerfully curious to read what these smart tips might be. Anything to make the chaotic holidays more organized, right. I can't tell you how disappointed I was at the list that follows.
  1. They schedule a visit with Santa
  2. They send holiday cards
  3. They make handmade holiday gifts
  4. They buy gifts early
  5. They bake holiday goodies
  6. They use a holiday calendar
  7. They say no
Apart from the first thing, scheduling a visit with Santa BECAUSE we don't celebrate Santa at Christmas time, I absolutely do everything on this list. What a let down. What a waste of three minutes clicking on a link and reading about what these "organized people do that I don't." 

Wait! Does this mean I'm organized?!?! I mean, I used the backside of a spoon to butter the bread for grilled cheese sandwiches the other night because almost all of the silverware was dirty and I didn't want to stop and wash a butter knife. At the same time there wasn't a clear spot of counter-top anywhere in the kitchen big enough to place a cup (as all the other dishes were dirty as well). There are weeks when I grocery shop every single day because, "shoot I forgot the toilet paper... darn it, we're out of milk already... for real did you guys use all the ketchup?" and two very important people in my life who I purposed in January to send birthday cards to this year had birthdays in October and their cards are still sitting on my dining room table unsent. Talk about belated birthday! 

I certainly don't consider myself organized and I've even been accused of "barely celebrating Christmas," but according to Readers Digest I'm on top things! Woohoo! Maybe that three minutes wasn't such a waste of time after all. I mean, the chances that I stumbled across a really lame article that was poorly thought out and that I shouldn't have wasted my time on are high but rather I'm going to use this poorly thought out article to tell myself all Christmas season that I am very organized. Me and my little pep talks... never ending I tell ya! 

Let the holidays begin!


14 comments:

  1. Hi Rivulet, what you are is HUMAN. Forget organised. Just enjoy the toasted cheese however you made it. Can I have some? I wouldn't advise forgetting loo roll though. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think running out of loo roll is a significant fear for me (by the way, there you go again having a word for something that I like more than ours; loo roll is way superior to toilet paper).

      I am human :) I think I gave up trying to be organized many years back. Who knew I was so good at it though, lol!

      Delete
  2. I like to start my holiday season with NO expectations, therefore I am rarely disappointed in myself or others.
    Being organized is highly overrated and superficial.
    Be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not there yet. I admire you. I work hard at letting go of many things but I've yet to figure out how to let go of holiday expectations. What can I say, I have a deep rooted spirit of a dreamer inside me.

      Organized is not something I'm striving for but its nice to know I'm so good at it, haha!

      Delete
  3. Take affirmation anywhere you can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorite picture of Abe, ever! :-) Can't believe it's snowing. Oh, and I like to think I'm super organized, & do very few of those things. Except #7. I'm famous for this one. I haven't attended a corporate holiday party in 15 years. And, we have GIANT parties. As does M. No thanks. It's my busiest time of work, and when I have time off, I want to spend it with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We raked leaves at my moms for hours yesterday. There was a four foot high pile at the road. He had so much fun! You should have seen his snow dance this morning though. He's been asking for months when it would snow again. Today's the day!

      I think it's awesome that you don't give into the expectations to attend a party that you'd rather not be at. Good for you for choosing family over something of an obligation!!!

      Delete
  5. Ha! You made me smile.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  6. This brought a huge smile to my face! :)
    We got our first light flurries today also. I had some crazy fleeting thoughts a little while ago about digging out the Christmas tree and starting to decorate already. I'm still debating but I'll probably just hold off til next weekend. I've yet to hear Christmas music in any stores- since I've been seeing Christmas stuff popping out since before Halloween I've been expecting to hear Christmas music everywhere.
    Love the pic of your little cutie-pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO great to see you back blogging!

      I love, love, love Christmas but I am not an early tree person. Hmm, that may be because of my husband. After all these years I'm not sure... I bet it started with him anyway. I'm definitely in the Christmas spirit though now that Thanksgiving is a few days away, the first snowflakes have fallen, and the Christmas music has started up in stores. No ba-humbug here. Let the holidays ensue!!!

      Delete
  7. I'm trying to have the "no expectation" expectations. Last year was extended family drama, and the previous two I was sick (wonder why). This year I'm going with the question, "does this bring joy?" and if not try not to bother. I'm not there but so want to just enjoy this year organized or notm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to not be so hard on myself this year. I'm very chaotic (which is one of the reasons I was so surprised to find out how fabulously organized I am) but also SOOOO nit picky. I love the holidays but I put WAY too much pressure on myself.

      Delete