Friday, June 7, 2019

dog kisses

I can think of several little wins for yesterday:
1.) We didn't get ice cream after dinner. We live in a beach town and there are some very good ice cream places around. It can be very difficult to resist but last night we did resist. Hooray for us.
2.) We brought our dog over to the in laws to see how she'd interact with their dog, to see if it'd be okay for her to stay with them when we go on vacation in less than two weeks time. It went very well and we're feeling pretty excited that this will be the first time we've ever gone away and not had to have someone stay at our place or at least stop over several times a day. (before now the in laws always had several dogs and we'd had our two... it's different now)
3.) I've been battling a fierce cold and the darn thing has been winning. I forced myself to rest when I got home from work, as in I didn't go out and mow the lawn, continue the painting job I've been working on outside, and get started back at the cement patching I began a day or so ago. Nope. I just rested. This is a win for me and I do feel better this morning.
4.) We've finally (as in I've been meaning to for years and haven't ever committed) brought in two milk weed leaves with monarch eggs on them. It's a fantastic science project, a fun learning experience, and a good thing to do in general to raise up monarchs and release them once they've emerged from their chrysalis. So many little wins.

The FAIL for yesterday is an easy one to come up with. I sucked at my job. I went to work with a cold that's kicking my butt and I was incredibly unproductive. I wash my hands a lot and I didn't cough on anyone so I'm not too worried about infecting the masses but I was so lethargic and slow. I hardly did anything in the eight hours I was there. Not my finest hour.

Yesterday's SPICE was priceless. I wish I'd had a camera handy or been able to video it. My in laws have a young golden retriever. As I mentioned before we went over there yesterday with our little old lady to see how the pup and the misses would do together. The retriever is a SWEETHEART! But if you've ever met a young retriever I don't have to tell you how much energy they have. Up until now we've tried to keep the baby far away from her, so the baby didn't get pounced and trampled and so on and so forth. 

Well yesterday little miss Wren was standing on the ground next to her daddy when big, wild, happy, sweet Sugar came right up to her and licked her from chin up to the very tippy top of her little fuzzy head. I was sitting across the room so I was the truly fortunate one who got to see my baby's face. As that big wet dog nose came rushing towards her she squinted her little blue eyes tighter than anyone has probably every squinted their eyes before, her whole face squinted. Her shoulders scrunched up and as Sugar (that's the dog's name) licked her all over my little lady smiled and smiled and smiled with all her might. Granted the entire encounter lasted all of one second but it was adorable!!! Sugar left baby Wren with a mess of sticking up hair and a gleeful smile on her sticky wet face. First ever attack of dog kisses. That's a spice for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment