Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Cat's Eye View

My thirteen year old cat has been outside probably four times in her life except that she was possibly born outside; I've no way of knowing how her, her siblings, and her mother ended up at the pound where we adopted her from. She was outside once when we brought her home from the pound, twice when she's been to the vet (maybe a few more times than that but not many) and once when we moved to the home we're living in now. I ask you to not feel badly for her though. She has less than zero desire to go outside. She enjoys sitting on the window sill in the kitchen occasionally but she's never once attempted to get out of the house or even stand next to an open door.

I have a VERY skiddish kitty that is tremendously fond of routine, safety, and familiarity. In her old age she's also becoming fond of snuggles and curling up on my lap. She doesn't get snuggles as often as she would like or as often as she deserves since a three year old boy happens to inhabit the same house as her and she happens to be rather fearful of (or in the least, dislikes) him. Two days ago during the three year old's nap time I decided quite on a whim that I would take the cat in the back yard with me to snuggle for a short bit. It was the most beautiful of summer days, bright hot sun shining directly over head, fabulous deep greens everywhere to be seen from a wonderful amount of rainfall we've had this year, a gentle cooling breeze blowing through the air, and birds singing all around.

I carried her out to the lawn chair I had set up and sat her on my lap. At first she was frightened (although she has always found tremendous safety in my arms). My poor kitty noticed nothing except that she'd been brought to a horrifying new world, a place she'd never been with sounds she didn't like and smells she didn't know. She pressed her head onto my shoulder and gave out a few timid scared meows. I spoke calmly to her and pet her head and back while holding her close to me gently. She meowed a few more times before she began to feel the hot sun on her back and notice the gentle breeze on her whiskers. If you've ever seen an indoor cat sunning themselves on the warm light spot that's beaming in from a window then you realize how much she enjoyed feeling the hot sun on her fur. Before long she picked her head up off my shoulder and placed her two front feet on my leg so that she could look around and watch the birds flying around. She began to purr deeply and happily and looked every which way with wonder. She settled down on my lap, her very favorite thing to do while she continued to purr, watch the splendid sights in this new world, and rest quite peacefully.

My son and I have spent hours each day since spring time this year in the very same backyard doing yard work, watching and listening to the birds, playing with mud and water, collecting bugs and playing sports yet I can honestly say the back yard has never been so beautiful as it was in those few moments when it was a brand new world and my delighted little fur ball took in all the newness of it for the first time. Every day goes by and there's so much normal, generally, about each and every one that passes. Yet something so simple as a cat bird watching in the hot sun for the first time or a child eating a certain treat they've never eaten before or seeing a flower you've never noticed can make a moment so new, so worthwhile, so alive. I seek out these changes of scenery now a days; to be in the same spot I've spent countless hours in but to look at the world around me in a new way, I relish that.

9 comments:

  1. So wonderful how you can enjoy those quiet moments!!! Our cats are all indoor cats and always have been too - too many car, coyotes, & mountain lions....even in a suburban neighborhood!!! And....they are N-O-T cuddly - you are so lucky!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with LOTS of cats, like breeding like rabbits out door cats and none of them ever lived very long :( sad childhood...

      When hubby and I got our one and only kitty 13 years ago we had NO desire that she be an outdoor cat and luckily she had no desire for that either. She very much has the Siamese personality even though she is ALL mutt so she's never been a tremendous cuddler but she's always been fond of me and she's seeking out cuddles and snuggle time in her older age. It makes me feel bad because we're used to her NOT cuddling and now that we have the kiddo I find it difficult to set aside time for her. But I try, this was one of those moments where I made a very conscious effort to give her some quality time and it turned out VERY nice.

      Delete
  2. Our beloved Milhous the gray tabby was terrified of the great outdoors. He went to the vet in a carrier and did his best to ignore everything around him. Charlotte Mew, a calico Persian, jumped out of a window that a guest opened in the family room during the night. I found her standing in the yard right under the window. I think she jumped out and didn't know what to do. Your post is beautifully written. I'm glad you enjoy your yard. I liked nap time when my children were young. I was the one who needed a nap.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I feel that our little Deedee Quiche would do the same as your Charlotte Mew :) I saw her standing next to an open door ONCE when I was letting the dogs out and she looked as if she found herself there by accident and wanted to escape this scary portal to terror as quickly as possible but couldn't figure out how to get away.

      I could use a nap for certain when the little guy goes down but I do not nap well, always wake up with a awful headache when I accidentally find myself having napped so I purposefully avoid them.

      Delete
    2. I used to get post-nap headaches. Now I nap quite nicely. Perhaps I'm more grown up at 56.

      Delete
  3. My cats love to lie in the sun. I am glad your cat was able to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was absolutely in heaven! It was great. I'll for sure take her out there at least once more before the summer is through.

      Delete