Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Itty Bitty Beauties (my mug)

Because in life it's the millions of tiny things that collide like droplets of water in an ocean that truly make each day worth living; a smile, a giggle, the smell of ash in the air...

I have this iridescent blue glass mug. At certain times of day it's a lovely purple. Something about this simple piece of dishware has always intrigued me. I can't say that I've ever thought any other mug beautiful but this one strikes me as a rose among... mugs.  Maybe some of it's appeal is because it was gifted to me after I saved a drowning surfer. A mug seems the appropriate gift, right? At least when the US government is involved. (but that was lifetimes ago) Even so every single time I pull it from the cupboard maybe if only for the slightest of moments I feel a flutter of life well up somewhere inside of me. The outside of my treasure is perfectly cylindrical with a slight lip. But the inside is octagonal with 8 matching sides and 8 little corners. It's octagonal insides not only allow the little vessel to catch and throw off light like crystal window art but (this is my favorite part) when you're mixing the cream into your coffee or stirring your freshly cooked stovetop hot cocoa the blue purple mug sings, like a wind chime! It makes me smile every time I hear it's music. "Ding, ding.... ding, ding, Ding!" I wonder if any of the Coast guardsmen hear the music when stirring their coffee in this seemingly simple piece of kitchen ware? I truly do. It brightens my day each time I use it (which because I am particularly skilled at breaking things isn't incredibly often). Oh, the little things, and dings!

No comments:

Post a Comment