Saturday, September 19, 2015

BEANS!


This year was my first attempt at beans. I chose a pole bean variety and plopped four beans in the ground next to my fence. Only one grew so I sewed two more beans. Something at one of them so I planted one more. In the ended three little plants began to grow next to the fence. These three plants seemed to take forever before they began actually climbing the fence. I wondered if we really would ever have actual beans on these plants. Before too long they took off and my fence AND the neighboring sunflower were covered in beans. Who knew a sunflower would make such a great bean pole? I love the way the plants look on the fence. I might plant more next year just for decoration :)



I've cut the head off the sunflower but I left the stalk and few leave in place for the beans.
See the stalk in there?


Turns out my husband and son aren't very big fans of beans. None the less I'm very proud of these green beauties. THIS is today's harvest alone. I'm planning on freezing most of these today.


Shooting for a no spend day here today, unless I run to the store to spend another $10 on the 10-items-for-$10-get-the-11th-item-free sale. There's a bottle of apple juice that normally costs over $2 and English muffins that normally cost around $3 in the sale. I'm having a hard time justifying not going back today to get a few more of these.

8 comments:

  1. Those beans are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am so jealous since I got NONE thanks to my wonderful son (but I'm TOTALLY over it....). I have a friend who cans her beans and I get a jar every Christmas - they are literally the BEST beans I have ever had - they are so fresh it is amazing. Have you ever thought of canning anything? I would LOVE to try canning but am a little intimidated by it.

    I am shocked Abe doesn't like beans since he loves most healthy things - maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you (poor beans of yours) I too am intimidated by canning. I was thinking of giving it a try this year and then I said, no, I'll do it next year for sure. Maybe. Haha

      Delete
  2. Those are gorgeous beans. More for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy with them. thank-you. I really had no idea what to expect when I put those beans in the ground. Enjoying them very much!

      Delete
  3. For several centuries runner beans were grown in this country as flowers, not vegetables, so you will be returning to an earlier tradition. I think BEANS IS GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, it must be in my blood! They are really pretty. I really enjoy having them growing on the fence!

      Delete
  4. Very nice beans. I didn't plant any this year.

    Regarding canning, I would start with tomatoes or something acidic so you can just do a hot water bath. It's pretty easy compared to pressure canning and you can find step by step directions online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. I've heard that starting with tomatoes is a good idea or something vinegary as its almost self preserving. I think I just need to find a canning buddy (ideally someone who has done it) for my first go round. Not that I'd fail or wouldn't be able to do it but having not done it before the task just seems really daunting.

      Delete