Wednesday, September 9, 2015

NO SPEND day 67 and Goose Stew

This morning before work while still sitting in my car for who knows what reason I figured out exactly how long it should reasonably take to pay off the credit card debt. I was planning a no spend day for today but I also left the house without any food or water and I knew today would be a longer work day so that was foolish. After I finished up at my first store (I had to work two stores today because of the holiday Monday) I was VERY hungry. My stomach was growling and I was experiencing some lovely hunger pains. I said to my hungry stomach, "NO, I am not spending money today. Quite down you." My resolve was abnormally high but then I had the greatest thought. Just so happens that my sisters house is smack dab in between the two stores I worked at today. Yep, I drove myself over there and snatched an ice cream sandwich from her freezer. Not the healthiest lunch but it quieted down my stomach (and was yummy).

Last night at the recommendation left in the comments on my last goose post I made goose stew. Thank-you Marcelle for the GREAT idea and for the recipes!!! I strayed hardily from the stew recipe because I wanted to make it on the stove and I also didn't have several ingredients on hand but didn't want to run to the store. Even so the stew turned out SO good and the meat was incredibly tender. I used a little chicken stock and then made my own goose stock out of the silver skin I cut from the two remaining pieces of meat. I actually had some carrots left in the fridge from our garden and they all went into the stew (along with a whole onion and two large cloves of garlic). I added fresh beans from the garden and some frozen corn at the end. I made dumplings for my stew (instead of baking biscuits or something like that). I absolutely love dumplings. Today when I got home from work I had wonderful wild goose stew with dumplings to look forward to. Do you know how wonderful homemade goose stew is after having eaten an ice cream sandwich, four mini muffins, and one cup of coffee all day? PERFECTION!


Spending rundown today: $0, NO SPEND day 67 for the year.

My budget for the month is $513.62 which leaves $360.71

Average daily spending for 2015: $17.95

7 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You might want to keep a box of granola bars or nuts or something in the car just in case you forget to bring something to eat.....speaking from experience here :) The stew looks wonderful - will Abe eat it too, or just you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, another friend recommended that once on her blog actually. Great suggestion! I am totally going to put something in the trunk. Ideally I'd not think about it being there but remember on days like today when I'm really hungry and don't want to spend money.

      I was very impressed with the stew (I'm getting better by leaps and bounds at this whole cooking thing AND cooking from scratch a lot now) and little Abe really liked it. He wasn't very hungry last night when it was finally done. It is stew after all, took a very long time to cook and I didn't start it until after work. He'd eaten quite a few muffins before it was done, haha, and a cheese stick, and a yogurt Popsicle :)

      He's a good eater though. He really did like it.

      Delete
  2. You have really done well getting him to eat so many different things - I was HORRIBLE at that - my kids were the pickiest eaters (not any more though)....Stephanie went through a phase where she would only eat Spaghettios and we used to say Zack wouldn't eat anything that wasn't yellow.....except bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep snacks in my desk drawer for forgetting days, but you reminded me to restock. Ingenious to borrow from your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! That stew looks scrummy! And you are back below the magic $18 a day. I think I am beginning to keep almost as careful an eye on that figure as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stew looks delicious! So glad you liked it. I love your idea of dumplings for it, I will have to try that next time. And I'm all about re-jigging recipes to fit what you have in your fridge too, good for you not running out to buy the missing ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SOOOOO delicious. I ate all of it much too quickly. I thought it would last a few days... nope.I with I could just leave soup/ stew well enough alone but I really love dumplings :) Thank-you again for the recipes and the recommendation!!!

      Delete