Friday, May 23, 2014

Purple Springiness/ Eliminating $3400 From Yearly Budget

It's honestly hard to believe that spring is really here. We're still getting some really unseasonably cold days here and there. Winter was so incredibly long. I see at least one person a day on facebook rejoicing about spring finally arriving.

I just noticed yesterday that our giant lilac bush out back now has purple all over it. Spring really is here! I love lilacs so much but they come and go almost in the blink of an eye. I'm pledging right here and now to go outside at least once everyday to enjoy the lilacs until the flowers are nothing but a memory. I feel like they'll seemingly last longer if I take a bit of time out to enjoy them.
In other news my dear husband is on his way right now to a job interview. It's a position with his current company but at a much closer location. It's not a promotion or a salary increase; just a location and title/ department change. Right now he drives between 1.5 and 2 hours every day round trip. This position is about 5 minutes away from our house. If you're doing the math that would save us at least $65 a week in gasoline, which is a very conservative estimate. That conservative estimate saves us $3400 a year just in gasoline (it's closer to $3900 a year if gas stays around 3.89 instead of 3.59). I won't even talk about car repairs and maintenance. 

Even more importantly eliminating the commute gives my hubby around 8 extra hours a week to be home instead of in a car. That's 416 hours more with his family each year. Cumulatively that'd be 17 full days of the year that he would have been sitting in a car but could now be with us instead. We are getting our hopes up. He is the likely candidate for this position. It's third shift in a new department but we've weighed the pros and cons and it seems like a GREAT opportunity for our family.

Spring might REALLY be here!
(I'll for sure be reporting back)

Average daily spending for May: $19.06

9 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I really hope it works out and works well for your family. Gorgeous picture! Flowers are not here long in southern Texas. We get them for about a month before it gets too hot for anything other than cactus to bloom. I enjoy all you "northerner's" pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're supposed to find out on Tuesday... hoping!
      The leaves are just popping and the flowers are blooming. It's wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed for your hubby:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow hope you get the job. I love lilacs so much and I am so busy I never get to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like they last a day or two but I'm certain it must be much longer than that. It really is crazy how life flies by. I'm going to make sure to notice those wonderfully fragrant purple beauties this year!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! I really hope he gets the job- that would be wonderful for all of you!
    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He said the interview when GREAT! We find out on Tuesday...

      Delete
  5. Wow, that would be great. Familytime is so important.
    And combined with a massive saving on money, that would be really great.

    ReplyDelete