Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mini Shopping Spree

The title sounds kind of fun but this is just a normal, "here's what I bought and that's what I paid for it" blog post.

I picked up some groceries on the way out of work today even though I'd contemplated making this another no spend. I wanted to get in on the 10 items for $10 get the 11th item free sale and I knew that if I didn't pick up a solid set of 11 things today I might miss it. So I did that. And then I spent another $17.48 on a few other good sale items and some stuff I need to make veggie lasagna on Saturday for my mom's birthday.

I also took advantage of some clothing clearance deals. I'm NOT a big shopper so I was only able to force myself to get two things but I'm happy with the purchases. I got a winter coat that will fit little Abe great next year. I spent $6.68 on the coat/ originally $29.68. (I almost bought the exact coat during a black Friday sale for $15) I picked up a pair of lounging around the house pants for me. I only have one decent pair so I'm happy to have a second. The pants were originally $19.08 but with the clearance price, the additional 50% off the clearance price that the store was doing today, and the 40% off in store coupon that I had I paid $2.57 for the pants. I think that's the best deal I've ever got on pants, even when shopping at a thrift store.

In total I spent $36.73 today and I saved $47.50. For me that is good! I'm quite proud of that shopping trip :)

Average daily spending for 2015: $16.63

8 comments:

  1. I think those are FANTASTIC deals!!! Sometimes when things like that come up you just can't pass them up. Now that I am unofficially "retired" I live in pajama pants around the house and the few pairs I have are started to get "air conditioned" so I need to be on the lookout for deals like that!!! I am a HORRIBLE shopper (especially for clothes) - I actually hate shopping (as opposed to eating out) so that isn't a big trigger for me but being in stores all the time like you are might be a little challenging!!! How do you keep from getting all those great "deals" you see on a daily basis?

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be horrible at picking up "good deals" all the time. I spent a good year, at least, training myself to not buy things and to focus really hard on only getting things that A) we could afford and B) we really needed. I'm still tempted by a good deal of items especially when there's a great sale but I try really hard to think about whether we NEED the thing or not. I also usually wait for at least a week after I see something on clearance before I decide whether or not I'm going to buy it. It is difficult being in the stores everyday though... everything is so tempting.

      Delete
    2. And I know what you mean about the "air conditioned" pants. I had several pair like that until I picked up a nice pair a few months ago. Now I have two good pair so I'll be getting rid of all my... uh, air conditioned ones :)

      Delete
  2. I tried to get all my children's clothes on deep discount. It is such good way to cut costs. Plus, I made many of my three children's clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been very fortunate because we have been given LOTS of clothes for our little guy. We've hardly ever bought anything for him. But I've been looking at this particular coat for months and I jumped at the deal on it. I would love to try and make some clothes but I think I'd need to learn how to use a sewing machine first :) I always sew by hand and it takes forever for me to make anything.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to learn how to sew - I actually got a sewing machine one time and every time I used it it jammed or did something floopy - needless to say, I sold the sewing machine at a yard sale a few years later :(

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does the exact same thing! "jams and gets all floppy." I know it's not broke because it belonged to my grandmother who sewed regularly so it's me that's broke. I've been thinking about it since this post and I've a good friend who's very handy with a sewing machine. I might ask her in the near future to teach me how to use mine :D

      Delete