Thursday, October 27, 2011

My November Thanksgiving Plan

Oh goodness, I'm so excited for Christmas this year. The back rooms at the stores are starting to fill with Christmas candy and the Christmas departments are pretty much all stocked (a tad bit weird, and way too early). I almost broke open a few different boxes of Christmas candy while walking around in back today. I LOVE Christmas time. BUT Thanksgiving comes first!!!

Thanksgiving is awesome and not just because I love food. I love the big family gatherings only one month before more big family gatherings and I love the food! I'm already dreaming up all of the thanksgiving dishes I could experiment with this year. Honestly I'm having to daily remind myself that I don't need to splurge and go all out. I can enjoy the holidays with simplicity. I can... I think I can... I know I can.

I believe that being thankful is one of the most important things you can do in life and the "Thanks" part of Thanksgiving is really why I love the holiday. Every November for the past several years I've made a tradition out of writing thank-you notes to different people I appreciate. Every time I've given someone their Thanksgiving thank-you letter they've been SOOO thrown off guard. A few years back when I wrote one to my mother in law I made her cry and our relationship changed very much for the better from that moment on. The food is great but the Thanks is really what it's all about.

This year I'm pledging (and this is a big one) to write AND mail one Thanksgiving thank-you note every day in November. I don't think I've ever given out more than 10 in a single year. I'm going to allow myself the ability to stock pile. If I don't write any all week but send out 7 on Saturday that will be fine. I REALLY want to do this though. I LOVE sending thanks to the people in my life who I care about and appreciate and there are way more than 30 of them.

I don't need to spend and splurge on elaborate tasty foods (the traditional pumpkin cheese cake WILL happen though). A simple Thanksgiving can be just as grand. Giving thanks however, I can splurge on that and I dare say I shall enjoy it as much if not more than all those tasty dishes.

October has been a pretty great month all in all and now I'm SUPER excited about November.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, that's SUCH a nice idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this, I think you might find this of interest, concerning Thanksgiving.

    http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2011/10/thanksgiving-comes-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the idea of a Thanksgiving letter. I may very well do a few of these of my own. Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanksgiving sounds like a really lovely celebration, I love the idea of the notes!

    ReplyDelete