Monday, February 2, 2015

Free Fun - Animal craft for a toddler

I LOVE crafting with my kiddo. I really wish we spent more time on arts and crafts but it's so much easier to do other things instead. I just need to sit down and plan crafts for the week or the month and I fully intend to! Even so we have tons of fun when we get around to it. I had it in my mind that I wanted to go through all my pins on pinterest this week and get some creative juices flowing. I had an older pin with a craft that was too difficult for him that I decided to transform so that he could still do it. The transformation made it so simple but he had a ton of fun.

The original craft had an outline of an animal on paper and the idea was to fill the outline in with paper strips. There isn't a sufficient link attached to the pin otherwise I'd link it for you. We will most likely do something of this sort together when he's a little bit older, but for now, at just 2 years old (I'm holding onto that until the day he turns 3) our version worked out much better.

This was a "free fun" activity because I cut two cardboard pieces off of a box I received a package in. I used a catalog to cut the strips (junk mail). Apart from the paint brush I had in a drawer and the elmers glue that I also had, there's nothing I would have needed to purchase for this craft. I put a very small amount of elmers glue into a small bowl and added about 2 times as much water. I'm guessing my solution was 1 part glue 2 parts water... maybe even more water. The ratio isn't super important. Little Abe used the paint brush to paint one piece of the cardboard with the glue water. Then he got to cover the cardboard with paper strips, much like with paper mache. We continued to paint the paper strips with the glue water as we put more and more on. You want to cover each paper strip with the glue water so that it will both lay flat on the cardboard and so that any strip that gets laid over that piece also has glue to adhere to.


This is our finished and dried part one masterpiece. When it comes to a 2 year old the simplest things can be loads of fun. He really enjoyed doing this craft. I asked him which animal he wanted to turn this into and he picked an elephant. I drew an outline of an elephant on the second piece of cardboard (from that box I cut up) and cut the outline out. Then I just glued the elephant piece on top of little Abe's paper strips masterpiece. And whala! It looks pretty good hanging on his bedroom wall beneath the alphabet letters and he's proud of his hard work.


Average daily spending for 2015: $19.25

6 comments:

  1. That is absolutely adorable - what a great idea!!! My favorite thing to do in the 1st grade class I volunteer in is arts & crafts.....although that isn't really valued in the California school system which makes me sooooo sad!!! I made the Christmas cards with the kids (the ones that weighed about 5 pounds each because of all the "goodies" they glued on them) and am getting ready to do Valentine's cards with them next week. Thank GOODNESS I have a friend retiring from teaching card-making classes and is trying to get rid of stuff to good homes....this class is DEFINITELY a good home, the kids adore making the cards!

    I never did any of this artsy-craftsy stuff with my kids - between working full-time, taking care of the house, and everything else, I just didn't FIND the time (you manage to....) Keep making that time to do things like that with him - it will mean so much to both of you later on! Again....I am living through you guys :)

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you volunteer in a 1st grade class. That has to be so rewarding for you. I bet the kids love making cards... kids just love arts and crafts. I really wish the whole concept was highly valued in every school, it should be, music and art are very important.

      And thank-you for the encouraging words. I'm trying to squeeze in everything I can think of... already the years are flying by.

      Delete
  2. I agree, art and music are SO important and the kids just adore it! My friend, whose class I volunteer in plays the guitar every day and the kids sing - they are so lucky to have her for a teacher! I have never seen kids have so much fun making cards as they did at Christmas and my other friend just loaded me up with goodies they could use! It is a good thing I did it on a Tuesday when I go in instead of the Friday - it took the cards 3 days to dry from all the glue they used putting all their "embellishments" on :)

    Are you going to do something for each letter of the alphabet? I LOVE the elephant!!!

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do something for each letter. I saw a really neat thing online where there was a shadow box for each letter. They called it an alphabet museum. I'd like to do something like that. This craft could be part of the alphabet museum I'll just have to rework it and maybe use shoe boxes for some and flat artwork for others.

      Delete
  3. I loved the surprise ending:) so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how much fun he has doing the simplest crafts, just painting glue water and sticking strips of paper. He wanted to do it again as soon as we finished.

      Delete