Friday, May 20, 2016

A rickety garage and its beautiful blue gems

Did you know that the American Robin is Michigan's state bird? Don't ask me why any particular state should have a state bird but ours is the American Robin. This bird with its bright orange chest is known throughout North America as a sign of spring. The American Robin and the European Robin are entirely different birds. It just so happens that way back when, a long, long time ago when some of the first Europeans journeyed to this incredible continent they saw the American Robin and it's red (orange) chest reminded them so much of the European Robin that they decided to call this "new" bird by the same name. The name has obviously stuck and so the world has two entirely different Robins.

The American Robin, being Michigan's State bird is a bird I have the pleasure of viewing in my yard daily. In my mind everyone in the world sees at least one Robin per day although I know that's not true. One of my favorite things about the great outdoors is listening to and watching all the feathered beauties that fly too and fro from morning to night. I'm in awe of the way in which birds communicate with spectacular song. They are such hard workers and yet if you sit and watch birds for awhile they seem to be playing and at least enjoying a large portion of each day. With their light frames and delicate feathers it's amazing that any bird ever manages to survive but survive they do. And they thrive.

We left the garage door open not much more than a week ago. The very next day I saw a Robin fly in and out again. A very short while longer I noticed the Robin return with twigs in it's mouth. Our garage is such a rickety old structure. It actually has a pretty significant lean to the East. We use it only to store our bikes, lawn tools, and the mower. It's also a wonderful spider habitat (yuck!). I realize I should have probably put a stop to this nest making project the minute I saw it begin but in truth I felt a bit honored that it chose our rickety little mess to make it's home.

I had to stand on a ladder and hold the camera up really high to get a photo of the eggs in there.

These delicate creatures do what it takes. It doesn't matter if life presents them with a leaky leaning garage. A bird will utilize that diamond in the ruff for it's needs no matter. I like to think that the Robins currently inhabiting a rafter on the roof of my tiny garage are quite proud of themselves for such a secluded spectacular find. They have certainly deposited the most beautiful blue gems within our rafters that our garage has ever or will ever see.

I'd like to learn a lesson from these two determined birds. We (I) tend to fret and worry, plan and plan, and make the biggest to-do about ultimately meaningless things. Sometimes (actually a good portion of the time) I'd like to just be like the birds, look at what life has to offer, make the most of it, and have a good bit of fun along the way. Often times it does no good to go on anxious about things that are out of our control anyhow.




Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
Matthew 6:26

6 comments:

  1. Robin's egg blue-my very favorite color. That is so special to share your garage with a new family. What a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUCH a beautiful color! I just keep thinking, "what a brilliant treasure to have resting up there in that yucky garage." Those little eggs are the most lovely thing ever.

      Delete
  2. Your robin has a much bigger red/orange area than ours. Also ours is brown where yours is basically grey. My Christmas cards with robins on must look weird to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      I believe ours is a larger bird as well. Isn't is amazing how different they are and still they have the same name?

      Delete
  3. I had heard of robin's egg blue, but I didn't realize that their eggs really were blue! How neat and how weird!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they're really blue and it really is the most magical blue in nature. I keep wanting to go in there to see if they've hatched but momma bird won't have it :)

      Delete