Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tomatoes

It's been really cold here. It's Michigan. I know you can never tell what the weather will be but it's been really cold here. Three days ago it actually snowed. I've had these little tomato plants on my kitchen window sill for days that I need to get into the ground. I've hardened them off and their roots are getting too big for their egg cartons but the weather forecast keeps showing nighttime temps in the 30s. It's starting to drive me crazy.

The weather forecast finally showed 40 for last night and then it went up, up, up from then on. I took the plunge and we put the plants in the ground yesterday. I think it got colder then 40 last night but they look great this morning. (we are past the frost date for our area but at this point I'm not sure that means anything)


I put the one surviving Bidwell Casaba melon plant in the back bed as well (I had three). I had less hope for that surviving the cold temps then the tomatoes but it looks great this morning. I think I've got a keeper. I'm starting one more seed of that so the plants will be several weeks apart with growth. I will just see how both do.

Let the gardening begin! Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Melon, Strawberries... Beans, Sunflower, and Pumpkin to come. Don't tell me you can't garden in a little city lot with limited space for garden beds. Woohoo!!!

1 comment: