Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Vacation

Now begins a five day vacation! Yay! It's going to be a staycation but as much as I LOVE to travel I'm a serious homebody who relishes having time off of work to just hang around at home. Plus I'll get to accomplish another goal on my May to-do list.

20. Take a Thursday off work and go watch little Abe at swimming lessons.

That's specifically why I put in a vacation day for tomorrow and I figured I should just go ahead and take Friday off too but I'd forgotten when I originally planned my mini-vacation that Monday is Memorial day. Yes, I'm really on top of things. Now: five day vacation : )

Back to spending... I splurged today (a little). Work started out... hmm... annoying... frustrating... I had to buy a Twix (candybar) at my first break and that ruined the planned no spend day so of course then I needed to pick up groceries on the way out of the store. I'd came about as close as you can get to picking up a four pack of mocha frapp's on sale for $4.99. But I couldn't justify $5 for a few little jars of coffee. I did talk myself into picking up half and half and hershey's syrup so that I could make an iced mocha when I got home. That was the splurge. $1.49 for the half and half and $2.39 for the syrup. That $3.88 total is pretty close to the $4.99 for the four pack of mochas BUT I could use those supplies to make gallons of iced mocha instead of those four little jars so I'm considering it a splurge/ win. (I know, I've practically perfected odd rambles).

I did in fact make an iced mocha as soon as I arrived home from work and despite the sentimental attachment I have to those little glass jars of Starbucks mocha my at home version was better. Maybe it's all in my head but I really enjoyed it more. I'd say it was the perfect way to start my vacation.

I'm now embarking upon a five day vacation with very little money left in the budget for the month, a huge snickers blizzard craving, and lets be frank, not a lot of food in the house (but I have mocha). Guns blazing, I'm still in this!

Average daily spending for 2016: $18.60
$26.85 left in May's budget (5 days (if I spend nothing tomorrow; that's the plan))

6 comments:

  1. I bet it was delicious. I prefer my homemade Arizona Iced Tea Arnold Palmers that I can make a gallon of for $3.00, compared to 8 16 oz. cans at $1.00 each. I like how you said you had to buy a Twix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOO good!
      Yeah, sometimes when I working I cannot say no to a candy bar. Like, I can't. Just being honest.

      Delete
  2. When that craving hits just make yourself an ice mocha and relish in your victory against splurges :) I'm STILL battling the eating out monster (especially since we haven't replace our oven yet)....going to work on that in June - wish me luck!!! Unfortunately MY cooking isn't better or even as good as eating out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, you still haven't gotten a new oven yet?! Well, sounds like June is the month.

      I'll tell you what though when my husband and I ate out regularly I neither liked cooking nor would I say I was very good at it. Now that I've found a few recipes and techniques (like making stew from scratch) that I really really like meals at home have become so much more enjoyable. It's taken many years though.

      I have always like baking but I can't say that I'd ever enjoyed cooking as much as I do sometimes now.

      Delete
  3. I too, love the coffee drinks. I have a dairy allergy so I had to give up the bottles of Heaven. I wrote about a coffee drink that I made on Monday. Maybe it is the week of coffee drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see your post. Maybe you're the reason I was craving iced coffee. Or it could be the week of coffee drinks :)

      Delete