Thursday, May 26, 2016

Accomplishing Goals

20. Take a Thursday off work and go watch little Abe at swimming lessons.
My husband and son left for swimming lessons as usual. I went separately so that I could surprise little Abe. He's gone through three different levels of swimming lessons (this is his fourth) and I've only gone once. He was really surprised and excited the last time I went.

As I was driving up (about five minutes after lessons should have started) I saw my husband and son walking out of the building. Hmmm... quizzical look all over my face, I can't stop wondering what is going on. I put in a vacation request three weeks early, took a day off of work specifically to go watch my son swim, and drum roll please... some kid decided it'd be a good day to use the side of the pool as a potty. I guess it was pretty messy and they had to close down the pool. Go figure. What are the chances? Haha!

Okay so maybe I need to change goal #20 to: Take a photo of little Abe at the Y with his swimming ribbon (from November). Yeah, I didn't need to take a day off of work for that but I can mark that one off today and I've been meaning to do that for the past six months.


I accomplished one more goal yesterday and one today. 

2. Root through wardrobe. pt.1
3. Get rid of a few things. pt.2

Last night I went through my wardrobe (well my closet anyhow) and came to a horrible realization. I have no clothes. I think somewhere in my subconscious I already realized this but it is now official. My closet is quite small but it has two sides. I put all the clothes that I absolutely needed to keep BUT that no longer fit me (genuinely for sentimental reasons (I know, wrong)) on one side. I took out some clothes that are hideous, like I actually wore them in high school and probably shouldn't have worn them even then. I parted with some things that are way too small and that if I'm being honest I will almost certainly never fit into again. Plus, it's been said that those "too small" clothes mock you every time you look in your closet. I think there's a lot of truth to that. And I removed a really fancy lilac bride's maid dress from over ten years ago. There's no way I will ever wear that again. 

What I was left with on the side with "clothes that fit" were four shirts, two dresses, and a ton of empty hangers (I hate wearing dresses). One of the shirts I don't like very much and one is actually way too big. That leaves me with a total of TWO decent non-t-shirts. No wonder I HATE getting dressed for things like weddings or church. I just don't own any clothes. I mean, it kind of looked like I did before I took all the stuff I don't wear out but nope, I don't.

For the record I am a through and through, all the way, no questions asked t-shirts and blue jeans girl. I have a decent amount of t-shirts so I'm not going to be going around naked or wearing one of four shirts from my closet but as of now my closet is basically empty. The clothes that don't fit and the bridesmaid dress are now at goodwill. Two more goals are marked off and, well, I probably ought to suck it up and buy myself an outfit come June. Maybe I should just stop accomplishing goals too. These past three didn't turn out the way I'd hoped.

10 comments:

  1. Doesn't matter if they turn out the way you think they will or not...you are giving it your best shot and doing a great job!!! As for little Abe, be THANKFUL someone realized one of the kids used the pool for a potty.....ewwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for that mom. I mean, yikes! The YMCA having to shut down the whole pool because of your kid... neither myself nor my husband were too upset (even though I was SUPER looking forward to watching little Abe's swimming lessons) because we both kept imagining being the parent of the kid who closed down the pool. Yeah, again, yikes!

      Delete
  2. So lovely to hear of your husband enjoying swimming time with Abe. He is a very lucky child with two parents who enjoy doing things with him - but you are lucky to have such a lovely little boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all three are very lucky indeed. We specifically signed up for classes that my husband would be able to take little Abe to. That way it could be their thing. They've both really enjoyed the time together I think. The very first class that Abe took was with my husband (a six or seven week course). Now my husband just watches but it's still their thing.

      Delete
  3. Funny post! Some days the universe decides for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if wexall imagined ourselves in the shoes of the other person there would be a lot less frustration in the world. Nice way to not just salvage the day off but take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We couldn't help it, to imagine what the mom must be feeling. I mean, if that had happened to either of us it would have been so awkward, humiliating; we couldn't even begin to imagine.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been the mom, but I've been swimming at a time when it happened, & the mom looked like she wanted to drop through the floor.

    Also, goals don't always fall the exact path we expect or have the consequences that align perfectly with our plans. However, there is a lot to be said for making progress, even if it doesn't lead in the direction you were intending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well progress has been made :)
      Strange course though. That's for sure.

      Delete