Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Looking Up

Last night we accomplished another May goal, to lay out and look at the stars. We went out right after dark so more and more stars slowly appeared as we lay there. Little Abe learned that the "stars" that were moving were actually far away air planes. (there are a lot of airplanes flying around at night)

Shortly before heading in we both saw a shooting star. I'm always thrilled to see one and it was great to see one with my little buddy. He turns to me and says, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I had to giggle (I do every time he uses that phrase). "I'm not sure. What are you thinking?" He replied, "I'm thinking we need to do this EVERY night!" Such a big smile on such a little guy's face.

In other looking up news, I spooked the mama Robin yesterday when I took the lawn mower  out of the garage which gave me just enough a window to grab my camera and check in on the nest. I have not been in there to check it since that first photo I posted because those Robin's are really top notch parents. They never leave that nest alone. Little Abe and I even camped out in the driveway for several hours one day waiting for a peek. Every time one of the two parents would fly in the other would fly out. They'd never leave the nest alone. I really didn't think I'd get another peek at it so this slightly blurry photo is like gold for me.



It's blurry because I had to stand on a ladder holding the camera over my head and the camera focused on the post instead of the nest. I was in a hurry to get out since I knew momma would be back any second. I didn't get anywhere near the nest really.

It turns out mama Robin laid three eggs. Robins are said to lay one egg a day (up to four eggs) and then the babies hatch one a day. This darling nest has two brand new babies and one unhatched egg. You can almost see that one of the babies is beak open facing upwards waiting for food, the other is newly hatched just laying there exhausted from the egg breaking struggle, and the third is almost certainly now emerged from that gorgeous blue shell (as I took this photo yesterday).

So much fun up, up, and away in the great outdoors!

2 comments:

  1. Days/Nights don't get much better than that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was pretty darn close to perfect!

      Delete