Saturday, May 14, 2016

Modern Conveniences?

There seem to be a lot of shows on air these days about people living on the edge of the world; people living in the wilderness who spend almost every waking moment of their day preparing. It's how life used to be. People had to hunt and fish and prep for cold, ect; to get by for practically forever until our only fairly new modern times. And now these rugged homesteading survivalists choose to live in the middle of nowhere and work, work, work, toilsome endless work just to exist.

I'm not one of the people who think they're too extreme or wonder what madness has overtaken them that they'd choose such a lifestyle. I'm a sympathizer, completely fascinated by their tenacity and passion and something deep within my bones yearns for that anything but simple "simple" lifestyle. But I know most people think they're crazy or foolish or any number of "what is wrong with them" thoughts. Why do they do it? Why do they live in the wilderness, on a homestead, or hardly surviving in the arctic?

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the subject: Why do you think they choose a very difficult somewhat secluded lifestyle of incredibly hard work when everything in their lives could be made so much easier by modern conveniences?

6 comments:

  1. We've actually thought about doing that. I love gardening and that part would be welcome. My husband loves hunting so we would have that part covered. I would miss TV and internet. I would also miss school for my kids. I have a bachelor's degree but I would be terrible about teaching music or art.

    I think most of them choose that life because they are sick of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your response, "they are sick of people." Haha! I am not a huge people person but I never think of that aspect of it. You're probably spot on though, at least for some of the people that choose that lifestyle.

      Delete
  2. I am a people person and would not thrive in a secluded sequestered circumstance. I could enjoy a couple of days (maybe) but then my need for hot water and a flush toilet would supersede any romantic notions about living off the land. Plus I just like chocolate too much !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why you would have to go without chocolate :)
      In my visions of homestead life there is definitely chocolate.

      Delete
  3. I agree with ND Chic-they are just sick of people. Not probably all people, but the rat race people, and the constant go-go people that are consumed with First World problems. To not be dependent on anyone for your livelihood, and free to live life by your own rules entirely. The main difference between them and our forefathers is that at any time, they have the option to come back to civilization. While they are living a pioneer lifestyle, they have a safety net. While I would be horrible-just never learned and or embraced enough skills to be successful, the rewards of the solitude, the nature, the quiet, has major appeal to me some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the "consumed with first world problems" people. That would be a nice thing to escape. I echo your sentiments on everything else as well, it'd be hard hard work but there's a freedom in that that you can't get anywhere else. Freedom really is golden.

      Delete