Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Gardening Day!

At least it was for us. Ah, sunshine and dirt and water and mud and seeds and... what could be better?!

Today little Abe and I planted carrots seeds (I did actually plant purple carrots this year) and spinach seeds. Spinach is one of this year's new additions. When I decided to give gardening a try two years ago I chose to start out with just tomatoes and strawberries. Last year I added carrots, beans, and watermelon. Oh, and the giant sunflower. Last year was also the first year I grew all of the plants from seed.

This year I've added spinach, will possibly add pumpkin and switched from watermelon to the Bidwell Casaba melon. Getting the seeds outside and getting the tomato and bean bed ready to go was such a great way to spend mother's day. Okay, I did snap at little Abe a few times when he flung mud at me, almost hit me with the shovel, and started to flood the backyard with the hose. BUT we did enjoy ourselves and got a lot accomplished. I also put up a little fence (that we have had in the garage for YEARS) to keep the dogs away from the tomatoes and strawberries this year.




The tomatoes and pole beans will go in the ground but there are rabbits galore around here so I've found that strawberries, carrots and I'm anticipating the spinach in pots works so much better for me.

I had set this year's gardening budget at $25 and I'm considerably over that. Here's the rundown of my garden spending thus far: $17.52 for Peat and Garden soil and $20 for seeds. The bin that I have carrots in this year was given to me by my sister in law as she no longer needed it. I've been composting in the purple bin that I grew carrots in last year. I had the other three pots and the fencing on hand. I know, I spent a ridiculous amount on seeds. The problem was that I ordered them online, had to pay shipping and I went and did a second order when I found the Bidwell Casaba seeds. I spent $6.25 on the melon seeds alone. With the exception of the two year old strawberries, everything I'm growing is from heirloom seeds.

If this year's gardening endevour turns out half as well as last year then I'm more than happy with the $42.52 that I spent on the garden this year. Teaching little Abe about growing food while watching all the beautiful plants grow and fruit and then getting to eat food from our own backyard is worth SOOOOO much more than $42.52 to me anyhow.

Hooray for Spring!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of all the fun you two had last year (not to mention the crops) I reckon $42.52 is a bargain price. Even if you choose to spend a little more, it will be money well spent. These magical early ears will be gone all too soon and whilst the really important think to spend on Abner is time, a little cash won't go amiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already said on several occasions this spring, "OH mom! You need to come look at the strawberries!!!" and then something like, "there are so many more flowers now," or "look how incredibly lovely they are!" It really is a priceless experience and yes, these early years are flying by!

      Delete
  2. I will read with awe as your crops come up and you and Abe enjoy the fruits of your labor. What a gift you are giving him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know he's learning a ton through these experiences and he's having fun too. Oh, and the produce :) Gardening is really special.

      Delete
  3. So much fun!!! Perfect way to spend a Mother's Day!!! I was going to mention that I got my seeds this year from a website called "99 cent heirloom seeds" (or something similar to that) - they don't have EVERY seed imaginable, but they are all heirloom seeds & are, literally, 99 cents. I got big boy tomatoes, purple bush beans, green lake green beans, little marvel peas, and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head. Can't say how they grow yet, but was very happy with the price & got them within TWO days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you! It sounds like you got some great seeds at a great price. I bet they'll grow really well. Yeah, I really went ever board with the cost of mine. I'm not sure what I was thinking... pretty catalog... Your garden sounds great! You're just going to have to refrain this year from taking a cross country trip and leaving the son in charge of watering, hehe

      Delete
    2. Yea....not happening this year - have to have 4 trees cut down, major dental work, and my oven just died so......happy vacation to us :)

      Delete
    3. My mom and sister's oven just died too. That sucks! and major dental work? Oh no :(

      Maybe no cross country trip this year but at least you'll have a fabulous garden, right :)

      Delete