Friday, May 17, 2019

stray spices

I genuinely can't remember anything about yesterday except that I was really tired all day long. You ever have days like that? They're so uneventful that you can't really recall what happened? For yesterday's missing post I'm going to just run through some spices that I've noticed over the past two weeks but hadn't posted because I chose others to highlight instead.

For sure there were two different mornings when I stepped outside to leave for work. The sun was just beginning to rise so the sky had that perfect dark blue with a glow on the horizon. The air was the best of spring morning temps. And the birds!!! Really that's the spice. Stepping outside in the morning on a perfect day to hear the serenade of the birds. Love, love, LOVE it! One of my favorite spices anytime.

Another moment that really stuck out to me was baby girl snuggles. My baby is wild! She is a ferocious bundle of joy, un-ending smiles, giggles, she has the funniest gruff laugh when she's about to be mischievous. Honestly I've never encountered a happier baby. But she never stops moving. Well, on the flip side she's slept a lot in her little baby lifetime. She started walking beside the furniture long before she began to sit. She can't walk more then three steps on her own yet but she's already climbing things. She stands up in the tub and I shower her instead of giving her baths because she can't sit still for more than thirty seconds (actually that's probably too long, maybe fifteen seconds). She enjoys every minute of it but she is a busy little lady. Always on the move.

Having said all that she is still a little cuddler until she tries to jump from your lap or out of your arms. One evening this past week Abe and his dad ran out to the playground to play frisbee. I very consciously decided I was going to take a break instead of doing some sort of chore that needed to be done. To be fair breaks usually mean some sort of chore that needs to be done is not going to get done. There's just not enough time but I'm often pretty sore and I don't often take many real relaxing breaks. There's honestly something really different about sitting down exhausted while going through the list of what needs to be done next in your head and feeling overwhelmed by the reality of the to-dos and genuinely allowing one's self a real break, relaxation. I'm horrible at the latter. Anyhow I took a moment out for me, to just rest. Wild baby Wren played gleefully close by until she walked over and started climbing on me. Then she wanted to snuggle.

Raising this little baby girl is so much different than raising my baby Abe. He isn't exactly jealous of her but at the same time he wants everything to be just as it always was. Totally understandable. Totally impossible. I spent all my time on him, all my energy, all of my all on him over the past seven years. I sang so many songs to my little baby Abe, read him countless, truly countless books. He went with me everywhere I went, to do yard work, to do laundry, to cook, ect; It's not the same for baby girl. It can't be. I don't feel guilty. I don't necessarily feel bad for her but the other night when they left and she wanted to cuddle, it was a rare mommy daughter time like I used to spend with my baby Abe that we never get. I picked out a few board books to read to her and snuggled her and, truly I adore my little lady and I'm SOOOOOO happy she has her big brother to take away my time and to make her laugh hysterically and to get frustrated with her when she needs to eat and he wants my attention but having alone time snuggles with just her was one of the best spices imaginable. Wow, that was a really long explanation for a really simple thing. Haha!

I had imagined I'd list several stray spices but I think I've been long winded enough to wrap this post up with just the two.

Mommy and baby girl

Mommy and baby Abe

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are lovely! I hope you can find lots of time for cuddles - housework will be just the same tomorrow, your children will have changed - enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and I love how you describe your daughter. Power language!

    ReplyDelete