Monday, May 6, 2019

yard work and the avengers

We now head outdoors to find my WIN. Yesterday I mowed the lawn for the first time this year. Ta da! After having highly neglected the lawn last year, while being rather pregnant and then rather newborn laden for the bulk of the summer it was really nice to get outside and start cleaning up the mess this year.

Normally Abe either helps me with yard work or plays along side me while I enjoy the sun, the plants, and the fresh air. Yesterday was delightfully different. Baby sister needed to be kept entertained and my little man fulfilled the requirements wonderfully. I love being out of doors and I do enjoy yard work. But watching Abe push his baby sister around in this pink car that their great uncle gifted her was a much added bonus. She cruised in style. Her hair floating in the wind. The largest smile on her sweet happy face. Cracker in hand, riding up and down the driveway and sidewalk like a small queen. They made my heart glad.

Tiny FAIL noted: I looked back and realized that I should have taken at least a moment out of doing yard work to play with the kiddos. Or maybe even just took a quick stroll around the block with them when I was through. It's not that I actually failed in that regard. The kids had fun. I got the lawn mowed. We all enjoyed sunshine and fresh air. No problem whatsoever. But I should have thought to add the slightest bit extra to that portion of our day and spent a little quality time with them while we were at it. Not much to scoff at, just a realization after the fact. Like the day before, I'm happy to keep this in mind for the next time I'm rushing to get a job done and a grand opportunity to love on the kiddos is sitting right there.

My husband LOVES movies. I'm not as enthusiastic. I'd rather sit in a lawn chair and watch the birds but still, we're almost seventeen years into this thing and my husband LOVES movies. He goes to the theater, usually with little Abe at least once a month. So it was a weird revelation yesterday when I got the opportunity to leave the baby home with him so that I could go to the theater that I haven't been to a movie theater in over a year. Time flies when you're raising kids. Really though, yesterday's SPICE was a fun outing to the theater (for the first time in over a year) with my sister and little Abe to see Avengers End Game. Now, all that having been said I just realized we need to book a baby sister so that I can go to the theater with my husband sometime soon. Yep, all kinds of realizations happening in today's ramble.

2 comments:

  1. Please don't use FAIL as a reason to beat yourself up. Honestly you shouldn't be hard on yourself. So far as I can see you're a darned good mum - you are allowed to be less than perfect in this most difficult of roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for all of you guys playing/working outside!

    ReplyDelete