Sunday, February 3, 2013

Enjoy the Little Things

Often times I forget about the moment. There's so much to be thankful for during each and every bit of the day. It's so easy to overlook that. Especially while putting tons of thought and effort into trying to pinch the pennies I tend to neglect thinking about the beauty in life. Yet I believe that it's imperative that we're always thinking about what life is shining down upon us.

My Dad broke his hip last week. I visited him in the hospital before the surgery and I've never seen anyone in so much pain. I felt awful for him and wished there was something I could do to remedy the situation but the incident also left me thinking about how thankful I am for my health and that of my husband and baby. In a moment things can be awful but right now I forget to be thankful for the little things like not being in pain and sick and having the ability to walk. That really is something to be thankful for.

I hate going to work but I am thankful that we have the extra income from my job. People around here are constantly griping about the snow but it's one of the most beautiful sights to behold. I'd take a snowy winter wonderland anytime over the barren, grey leafless look of death during winter with no snow. As a mom and wife it's pretty easy to get annoyed by the neediness of your loved ones but oh my goodness am I blessed to have the loved ones I do. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Oh and my home, I'm surrounded by this and that and every other thing that needs attending to. But I want to remember that all this stuff is luxury, blessing, stuff that I am fortunate to have (even if it takes time to tend to it).

We get to thinking about losing weight, working out, cleaning up, doing well at work, attending to the kids (the furry ones too), saving money, not spending money, making extra money, oh it's an endless list of to-do's really, but we, I must always be thinking about the good things too/ the free things. There's so much loveliness. You know even in the midst of filth and dross there really is loveliness just sometimes you have to remember to look for it.

I haven't any tattoos but sometimes I feel as though I should get one right on the back of my hand that says something like, "look for the lovelies." It's so easy to forget they're there and yet they add so much spice, pizzazz  so much LIFE to life. This is your reminder (and mine) look for the beauty this week. It may have been placed right there just for you. You wouldn't want to have missed it.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he feels better soon.
    Oh yes, the lovelies. We do have so much to be thankful for.
    Ieva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I have a hard time with the little things. Perhaps it is because of my past and what I've had to endure, but I'm constantly thinking about problems and how I will fix them.

    When I do take some time to relax, I'm worried that I'm wasting time. But you're right, when I think about it, I have a lot to be thankful for.

    Anyhow, I have to commend you on your path to get out of debt. My wife and I powered through student loan and car debt last year and feel great. Keep motivated and best wishes on success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tattoo seems a little extreme, but maybe you could add looking for a lovely to your list of things you are not spending on. Then every time you want to buy a coffee and don't, you can look for a lovely. "I really want that coffee but didn't buy it, but there's a really cute puppy, beautiful sunrise, baby giggle, etc..." So it can help take away the momentary pain of not buying something that you want in the moment.

    ReplyDelete