Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam

3 c. Rhubarb cut 1/4 to 1/2" wide
2 c. strawberries, crushed
2 c. Sugar
1 envelope of Knox gelatin

Put strawberries in pot over low heat (this is how I crushed them because I was feeling lazy).
Once they begin simmering add the rhubarb and sugar.
Simmer until thick, about 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, stir in gelatin, and let stand for 30 minutes.
Ladle into 12-16 oz jars leaving about 3/4 inches at top for expansion.
Let stand until at room temperature.
Then place sealed containers in the freezer.
Thaw individual containers in the refrigerate when ready to use.

Some friends of ours just gave me a bunch of rhubarb that they picked from their Grandmother's garden (she can't use it all... and neither can they). I made jam for the very first time tonight and I think I might be in love with it!!! I looked at a few recipes and altered them so that there would be considerably less sugar. All the recipes that I looked at called for 3 cups of sugar and a box of strawberry jello. I used Knox unflavored (or you could use generic unflavored) gelatin instead of strawberry jello which has additional sugar, artificial color, a few different preservatives, a few different acids and flavoring in it.

1 comment: