Friday, January 14, 2011

Thoreau: Pure Genius

I've been needing clothes for quite some time. First of all I lost a pretty decent amount of weight about a year and half ago and secondly I never buy clothes. Thus my clothing is old and baggy. My husband and I set aside some money over Christmas time so that I could go shopping and get some nicer shirts and better fitting pants. Unfortunately (more for him than me) our dog needed surgery the first week of this year. The vet bill was a hefty $475. The Christmas "clothes" money was gone faster than you could blink. Instead of a new wardrobe I got a healthy dog for Christmas. And here I sit rather silly looking.

This is going to sound ridiculous I imagine but I don't care about getting new clothes. I would like to look nice for my husband but other than that I've never cared much about peoples opinions. I'm very happy with who I am as a person and I don't mind at all wearing clothing in a utilitarian sense. I don't need to wear my identity. I am me. With that being said, please excuse my worn out incredibly unfashionable apparel.

I LOVE this:
As for clothing, to come at once to the practical part of the question, perhaps we are led oftener by the love of novelty and a regard for the opinions of men, in procuring it, than by a true utility. Let him who has work to do recollect that the object of clothing is, first, to retain the vital heat, and secondly, in this state of society, to cover nakedness, and he may judge how much of any necessary or important work may be accomplished without adding to his wardrobe. 
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles.
-Henry David Thoreau

Last year I purchased 2 pair of pants for work and 1 work shirt, 2 pair of blue jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 2 tank tops, 2 t-shirts, a few socks and NO new shoes. This year I intend to acquire even less new clothing. Once I am out of debt I believe I will be as close as one can get to becoming a new person. Then I believe I shall need a new wine bottle to contain the new wine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment