Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Chili Tuesday

Well my daily average is way up now. Yesterday I bought groceries exclusively for my boy. I had to get him some lotion for a rash he's been dealing with, yogurt, crackers, juice... many of the necessities that I was a bit worried I wasn't planning as best I could. That total was a whopping $23.31. When trying to spend $15 a day that's a big chunk of money.

Today I bought the bare minimum in order to make chili. I have to comment that I'm proud of myself for this one. I don't know that I've ever made chili... weird, I know. But today I'm making it. Today I'm excited about it and tomorrow we should have a good bit of leftovers from it. The chili makings came to $11.19 but I had to buy cumin which was almost $4. Geesh, silly expensive spices. I am really excited about this chili. I better go stir it now and get the cornbread in the oven.

Average daily spending this year: $17.14

Today's lovely: A winter filth covered semi was driving down the highway in the lane next to me when I noticed the classic finger print writing in the scum on one of it's back doors. In large clear letters someone had written, "HI Y'ALL." It brought a very large smile to my face. I couldn't help but wonder where in the country it had been placed there, who done it, and what kind of silly mood that person had been in. He or she made me smile. I'm not sure why but sometimes little things like, "HI Y'ALL" scribbled on the back of semi bring me such joy. I think it's this odd sort of connection with a stranger, another person on the planet somewhere that I'll never meet. That person whoever they were made me smile. That's a connection of sorts. I like moments like that.

6 comments:

  1. Spices are more expensive at first, but last a long time. I've got an insane amount of different spices here. And it makes it easy to make everything tasty.
    but doing great. still real close to your daily spend. And you will get there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost hate buying new spices because I don't know if I'll ever use it again but I'll definitely making chili again. The cumin was a good purchase :)

      I guess I should be able to get back to $15 a day pretty easily by the end of the month.

      Delete
  2. I buy the McCormick chili spice packet. Its a lot less than having to buy the spices, plus you get the right amount of each every time. Its really improved my chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had the other spices but I did casually look to see if there was a "chili" spice mix. It must be by the bags of seasonings? The chili turned out great though. It was so so yummy!

      Delete
  3. Chili freezes well! I like to make a little extra so there is something to fall back on for those nights where you don't want to cook, but also don't want to spend the $$ on take-out! You can out it on pasta or baked potatoes for a change of pace :)

    ReplyDelete