Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January Stock Up

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
-Henry Ford
I'm planning to spend an average of $15 a day this year on everything I purchase. I think I can, I think I can...

As much as I wanted to stay under $14 a day for 2013 I ended at $14.04. Not bad, but this didn't include spending for the little guy so I know I was WELL over $15 a day in 2013. I'm excited about this new goal. I'm excited about growing more and paying off more debt. I'm excited about maybe actually getting some money in savings for longer than a week. In truth the budget doesn't look great right now, there's very little cushion, there's not much room for savings or debt payoff but a long road lies ahead. I guess I'm looking for buried treasure. Arghhh

One of my new approaches is to take an average of $3 a day at the beginning of the month and stock up on some of my least favorite things that always seem to ruin my budget. Ideally I'll plan out gifts for the month from this money as well.< Look at me, growing up and planning household supplies ahead of time.>

On the list for the January Stock Up
Laundry Detergent
Dish soap
Dog food
Toilet Paper
Bath soap
Organic milk for Abe
A Birthday gift for my Mom (although I intend to make something)

I've $93 to spend on the January stock up but there are several birthday's in May so I'm going to try and reserve some of the stock up money for then. Results later.

It's looking like I'm starting January with my first NO SPEND day of the year. This is the longest streak I think I've had. Being a hermit is looking like a pretty beneficial occupation. (I have to go back to work tomorrow though)

Today's Lovely: I'm sitting on the couch watching some random thing on TV, almost not even watching it. It's just on. I look over at my son who's sound asleep next to me and then to the other side both my dogs are snuggled up together beside my leg. (It's FREEZING outside) I've a warm cup of coffee in my hand. I look around the house and think in a moment of all the cleaning that needs to be done. But instead of that usual feeling of, "ugh," overwhelmedness and dread I realize that I'm enjoying a truly beautiful, warm and cozy piece of time. I can't believe how often I miss the appreciation for these moments. I'm glad I caught that one, just surrounded by love, warmth, and serenity. Lovely!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great moment with your son & pets! :-) And, love the idea of earmarking part of your monthly budget for gifts & stock ups. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those eye opening NOW moments... really great.
      As far as the stock up goes I'm just happy I have a new approach after the past few years of trying things the same way over and over.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I stumbled across your blog about a week ago and read your entire 2013 blogs in one sitting. I love the ideas you write about it your blog - I'm always trying to save money trying to think of the bigger picture but the "no spend" days and "$15 a day" give me both short term and long term goals to work towards. About 2 years ago I was $20000 in credit card/personal loan debt but cleared it last June and love to read other ways people save. Thanks for a great blog. Leah (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It's hard for me to believe people would take the time to do something like that; read through all of 2013. wow.

      Congrats on the $20000 debt payoff. That is awesome!!! I'll tell you the little goals/ short term do help a lot. I think at first I tried to trudge along with only long distance goals, like "pay off this credit card" and so forth and I just got too weary.

      Delete