Thursday, January 9, 2014

I Made Soup! (and a quick goals rundown)

I hate making soup. I never make soup. Soup never seems filling enough. Yet this simple task seems to be a prerequisite for every good homemaker. I had some celery that had gone soft and carrots I needed to use up. So I strayed from my norm and decided to give this thing another go. I boiled the carrots in chicken stock. With 4 minutes remaining I threw the celery, some frozen peas, and frozen corn in. I cooked up a box of long grain and wild rice (which has a mild seasoning). I mixed the rice into the veggie mix and whala I now have a very filling, VERY healthy, actually very yummy tasting soup that my son LOVES.

I'm quite proud. I just never make soup.

Average daily spending this year: $15.85

I'm going to shop for the weekend tomorrow. I'll try and reign in the spending then and get back under my $15 a day goal. As far as other goals are concerned: I haven't paid any bills late thus far. I have not used any from of credit or borrowed money (or gone into overdraft). I have been keeping a food journal, been reading, and really looking for lovelies. I have had 5 NO SPEND days this year. And as far as "30 days to think on it" is concerned, I haven't bought one single thing/ stuff/ non-consumable OR written anything down on my 30 days wait list. Pretty good I'd say. I also haven't been checking into facebook on odd numbered days.

Today's lovely: While walking through the store not even noticing that I was passing the floral department all of the sudden the most fabulous, intense, wonderful scent of spring embraced me like a cloud of perfume. I turned around to see a table filled with daffodils and hyacinth. Every part of my being smiled upon walking into the fragrance. It was heavenly; like remembering a long forgotten cherished friend. I kept walking for a few seconds until I realized that I must cherish this moment in time. I turned around and walk through the cloud once more. Ahh, so beautiful. I stopped at the table and pressed my nose into the hyacinths. Talk about "stopping to smell the roses," NO joke, everyone needs to take time out for such activities.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, soup! I make it quite a lot, but you're right, it's not super filling. I'm glad yours worked out so well :)
    I love flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was very filling because it was PACKED with hearty veggies and rice. Normally soup just isn't filling for me but this one was. I was quite happy. I love flower too especially in the middle of such a cold winter :)

      Delete