Saturday, November 16, 2013

Let the Christmas Gifting Begin

I started Christmas crafting today. I have 7 (very soon 8) nieces and nephews. Christmas is always a struggle for me because I love giving gifts. I like to figure out what gift would make the receiver beam from ear to ear. I hate budgeting for gifts, just "finding" something to gift, or drawing names. I think my strongest love language is giving gifts. When it comes to Christmas this little fact is a hindrance though. I wish, wish, WISH I could spend $100 on everyone on my Christmas list... that'd be $1700 and I'm counting my married siblings as one person. Those 17 people are just family; no friends. Oh gee, I forgot my dad and two youngest siblings. Well that makes 20 people.

The other day I saw a Christmas money tree pin and the Christmas crafting has now begun. I'm posting a photo because I'm proud of myself for starting but it's not done yet. I'm using stuff I have around the house for every part of the tree and I'll put $12 in cash on the tree (alternating branches so that I can put ornaments on the tree as well). Then I'll put $3 in change in the jar. I'm planning to make trees for my two oldest nieces.
One of my nieces really like pandas so I'll make a few of those ornaments.


In total the two trees should cost me $20 ($10 each in cash). The change I'll collect from the trail of lunch money coins my husband leaves laying around the house. I have several $2 bills I've saved and I'm going to put one on each tree. I hope that $15 in cash (and change) plus the little Christmas tree will be a neat gift for a 6 and 7 year old. I shouldn't even say it but Christmas on a little budget is not really fun. Darn it, no! This year it will be fun.

Average daily spending for November: $12.49

Number of days in a row
Not buying food at work: 4
Not making large unnecessary purchases or luxury purchases: 4
Since we last ate out: 7
And I'm at 7 out of 18 NO SPEND days so far this month

6 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea! My 7-year old would be ecstatic to receive a tree like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out good. Thanks for the encouragement. My son is only 1 so he thinks EVERYTHING is cool. I'd hate to be the weird aunt that's always making odd things as gifts : ) but so far my nieces and nephews seem to really enjoy whatever I come up with. Hoping the trees are a hit too.

      Delete
  2. I need to start thinking seriously about Christmas shopping or crafting. I follow this board on pinterest, lots of cute ideas for giving cash in creative ways. And what kid doesn't like cash! lol http://www.pinterest.com/tinahallock/cash-gift-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a neat board! I want to do at least half of those now... I think I'm going to have to find some extra cash : )

      Delete
    2. some people are so creative, so glad they share their ideas

      Delete
  3. Love that idea! I may have to try it. I need some crafty holiday ideas.

    ReplyDelete