Sunday, August 24, 2014

I Get Positively Giddy About "Free"

The city did a picnic this evening that involved a ton of free food; dinner, beverages, chips (not french fries, for you Europeans... what'd you say they were called over there Frugally Challenged, crisps?), cookies, and cake. It was just the break I've been needing. We'd already planned to go with friends of ours but I forgot it was this evening until the phone rang. I was needing to run to the store in order to make dinner tonight and I was thrilled that no such shopping trip would be in order. Hurray for free food!!! Plus little Abe got to climb around in a fire truck (the highlight of his day), play in a bouncy house and play at the playground with a bunch of other kids. Mark that one down for adding a bit of spice to the mundane. This momma was just happy about the free dinner. All the other stuff was icing.

Average daily spending for August: $17.62

7 comments:

  1. Well done, we'll have you speaking English English yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me giggle. A taxi driver in Ireland said something similar. He told us that we weren't speaking English we spoke American. I'd never heard anything like that before he said it.

      Delete
    2. It gives giggles either way. When I visited USA a few years ago I giggled when I was told I had a British accent. One lady who said it to me said she had no accent and was a bit indignant when I giggled.

      There is (from our point of view) no such thing as a British accent - it's highly regionalised. Scottish, Welsh and Cockney(London) accents are very different from my own East Midlands (Lincolnshire) tones.

      But yes,I think you would often be described as speaking American

      Delete
    3. I would certainly describe your accent as British if I were to meet you but a Scottish accent would be recognized as Scottish here. The others Welsh, Cockney... I think we'd call those British as well. From Michigan we're certain we don't have an accent because we speak so closely to say American actors and newscasters but people with a good ear can peg a Michigan accent. It's not super definable like a deep south or jersey or brooklyn or Minnesota accent but it's apparently there. I've yet to figure out what defines it. I guess we blur some letters like "d" and "t" don't say them super defined.

      Delete
  2. And we'd just call it an American accent - in the same way as you would call any accent from over here(apart from Scots) British!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weighing in on the chips, here in Sweden they're also called "chips" and in Latvian we say "čipši". :)))
    In Sweden, French fries are called either "pommes" or "strips", and in Latvian we say "frī kartupeļi".
    I love all different accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! So in Sweden and Latvia chips are chips! And in Latvia it sounds like you guys call french fries "fries" basically. Looks like you're in the minority now English speakers. haha

      Delete