Monday, August 25, 2014

Today's Spice: Chocolate Cake

The most involved chocolate cake I've ever made!!!

I had in mind what cake I wanted to make. I had to run to the store to get several of the ingredients for it. After a trip to the store I made the cake part of the three part recipe. It was going well until an enormous thunderstorm came in and the power went out with about 15 minutes left on the timer. The power was out for awhile so the cake was in the oven for MUCH longer than 35 minutes. Thankfully the power came back on, I got the oven back on, and the cake baked all the way through without any textural mishaps.

Next I whipped up the chocolate mousse filling. Even though my cake ended up a disaster this recipe is completely worth it just for the mousse filling. It's probably the yummiest thing I've ever eaten. No joke. I'm guessing I should have spread the filling thinner between the four layers because my cake pretty much collapsed/ toppled TWICE. I was out of time for making the frosting at this point and I had to rush to work with chocolate cake mix and chocolate mousse filling splattered all over my kitchen. No joke.

I made the frosting when I got home from work and I also had to explain to my husband what that brown pile of crummy ugliness was sitting on the plate in the refrigerator. You can find the recipe here and I've linked it under the photo. Honestly, it's the yummiest chocolate cake I've ever made. It might be the yummiest chocolate cake I've ever eaten it just turned out uglier than ugly. The photo on the left is the original. The photo on the right is mine. Yes, mine WAS a four layer cake as well. Not sure how I ended up with only two layers... somewhere in all the toppling I lost two layers. I am the next great baker! Oh yeah!


Other lovely bits about today: Little Abe and I sat and watched the rain pouring from the sky during the power outage. He kept saying, "it's so beautiful." He makes me smile so much. We painted some rocks yellow that we're going to turn into little rock chicks. And I did start reading a book. Fingers crossed that I read the entire thing like I noted on my to-do list. It's a re-read so I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up the motivation to get through but it has been YEARS since I read it so... we'll see.

Average daily spending for August: $18.21

BONUS:Tour of American accents for Frugally Challenged
haha I couldn't resist! This is pretty much spot on by the way.



8 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I laughed at that and really enjoyed it. Maybe I could find one for you but there are just too many variations here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what's on youtube :) I found a tour of British accents too and watched the whole thing. You are right, that are a ton of variations.

      Delete
  2. I think this chic learned her Minnesota accent by watching the movie Fargo. People definitely have accent here but not like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Do you live way in the north of Minnesota though? I know that the accents in the north get much stronger when you go north and the accents in the south get stronger when you head more southernly. The Yoopers in Michigan talk similar to the Minnesota accent. The accents can get pretty strong up there in the U.P.

      Delete
  3. I have lived in Norther MN and the strong accent there is a combination between normal and Scandinavian accent, not like how she was talking. My husband has even commented on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see how it would have Scandinavian influence. Neat how you pointed that out. Well, I'm afraid most people who haven't lived there do think of the accent as Fargo-y. Sorry for our ignorance. You must admit though that accents sounds very different to people speaking them and people hearing them. I can't hear mine AT ALL but people insist that we have one here in lower Michigan.

      Delete
    2. :)) No one has ever "accused" ME of a lower Michigan accent, ha ha ha :)))). Thank you for the tour, I enjoyed it!
      And I think your cake looks rad! I pinned the recipe and will take your word for it.

      Delete
    3. That is funny! The cake was amazing. Really rich though. It's my favorite cake ever.

      Delete